Monday, March 1, 2010

Experienced adrenaline rush at Zero Gravity Adventure Park

It was a beautiful sunny Saturday in Dallas, perfect to try out something new and adventurous. My friends and I decided to take this opportunity and go to one of the most recommended adventure park in Dallas, the “Zero Gravity Adventure Park”.

We called a yellow-cab and drove through North-Central Expressway to reach the park at 11131 Malibu Dr, Dallas, Texas 75229. It didn’t looked very happening from the front door. We went inside to see what all things were there. There were five adventure rides in all. We scanned through and went back to the ticket counter.

There was a beautiful American girl at the counter. We asked her for tickets. She quickly briefed us that being it an adventure event we needed to undertake full responsibility of any mishaps. I was quite worried and concerned while signing her undertaking form. She tied a wrist band to each one of us and wished us to have fun. Finally, we went inside the park thinking which one to experience first.

We thought lets take experience of the "Texas Blast-Off" ride first. I saw the instruction board. It read “Texas Blast Off. Launch to 150+ Feet. 0-60 MPH in 1.2 seconds. Do not ride if you have high blood pressure, heart trouble or nervous disorder.” which made me even more nervous. I started calculating 150 feet means around 45-50 meters, 60 MPH equals to nearly 100 Km/hr in 1.2 seconds!!!

A bucket seat was suspended between two giant vertical poles with tension springs. With hesitant heart I sat in bucket seat. One of the members from support staff tied all safety belts tightly around me. He attached a hook at the bottom of the seat and started giving tension to springs. I was shivering with fear and excitement. My heart was pounding at the rate of 80, 90, 100, 110 pulses per min.

And the hook was realized. I was launched into the air as if bomb being fired from the cannon. I couldn’t gasp my breath. I closed my eyes and hold handle bars tightly. I was reached at the highest peak point and was stopped for a microsecond. The return trip towards ground was a free fall. I couldn’t able to take that anymore and started screaming as loud as I could. I thought I would hit hard on the ground to death. But instead again I was launched up into the air, wobbling, rotating. There were a few up and down movements in air but a lot in my heart. Finally the ride came to rest and I came back to life. I was still alive.

to be continued…


Just after having that extreme shock, we moved to get another; it was a “Bungee Jump”. I handed over my ticket to the staff member. He asked me to stand on the weighing machine so that he could check my weight and assign appropriate tension belt. He wrote “B1” as a code on my wrist-band. Then he firmly fixed a blue nylon belt around my west and blue straps around my legs below the knees and just above the ankles. I was ready for my next excitement.

I was climbing through the staircase to reach the top of the building. With each step taken my fear was increasing. I reached at the jumping point on the top. There was a person who checked my weight and chose a tension spring-rope and tied it to my leg straps. He instructed me to stand on the red line at the jumping point.

I looked down at the ground. I was standing at the height of 7-storey building. I hold the side bars in fear and took long breath. My feet were shaking and mind was refraining to make suicidal attempt. I moved back. My friends were there waiting for their turn. They gave me moral support and I was again ready to dive in.

I stood on the red line for the second time, looked down again. The person who tied tension spring-rope to me started counting, one, two and three ………….
I was not able to jump. He said I need to get reed-off this fear and have to jump. He instructed me, this would be the final time he would be counting for me and I had to jump, else he would send me downstairs.

Again I stood on the red line. Now this was my final call to heavenly skies. Count started. One….. Two…… aannnddd Threeeeeee.
I spread my hands as wings of a bird and jumped. Yes, I jumped.

In few seconds upside-down hanging in the air, I was overcoming my fear. I put my hands on my chest. “Nice job bungee jumper. Reach out for black strap between your legs and pull your head towards your knees”; called the staff member. I did the same and reached to the balloon on the ground. It was a very good bungee jump.

to be continued...

Bungee jump was a real thriller; you need to make your mind and take a call whether you want to jump or not, standing on a point at such a great height.
We moved forward to see next ride. But to our bad luck “Free Fall” ride was closed for the day. We came to know that one need to go up at the top of a 16-storey building by a lift. They hang you to a hook and let you suspend in the air for a while. Then release the hook and you experience a Free Fall without any support whatsoever. You fall in the net just above the ground. That’s right, no bungee, no parachute, just you and the air!
We took incredible feeling of Free Fall in our thoughts only.

to be continued...

Next was the “Skycoaster”. My friend and I took this ride together. We were tied to one end of a 110 feet long steel cable. They attached a hook to us and took us to one of the crest point.

My friend asked me to take the lead as he was a bit afraid of that height, unknown of the same feeling in which I was in. I too was scared of that height and also closed my eyes. We heard some words from ground like ‘pull the plug’, but I was not listening to them. I was just horrified with the thought of releasing plug. My friends on the ground yelled at me. I had to pull the plug; I made my mind and finally pulled it.

Another free fall reaching at the ground just above few feet with velocity of 60 MPH and again to crest of other end!!! We were moving like a pendulum of a huge clock. I stretch my arms in that open air and felt like a flying bird. I enjoyed the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Too good..lots of courage required for these kinds of rides !!

    ReplyDelete